Sunday, September 17, 2006

"What's in your hand"


This weekend our staff at YFC spent the weekend at Arlington Beach for our annual Board/Staff retreat. The weekend was very good, though not much of a retreat for my family, as Alex never seems to sleep well except for at home, and my wife is quite sick. I'm not sure why they call it morning sickness, because she seems to be sick all day long. Anyway our weekend was good. I was particularily challenged by a message from Rick Warren, the Purpose Driven guy. He talked about Exodus/Moses. The message was titled "What's in your hand". What I gathered from it was, how are we as God's children using our affluence and our influence to better our world. I have a lot of respect for Rick Warren. He and his wife give 90% of their income. They have chosen to keep the lifestyle they had before he became famous. I admire that. I wonder if I would be able to handle success in such a manner. I was really challenged in the area of materialism. For me this is a great struggle. Warren said the best way to curb materialism is to give more. I had one of those moments of clarity at that point, now though is time for the rubber to hit the road. I need to conquer the beast that is materialism. "So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. Lord, help me to desire you and your Kingdom alone. I can't do it Lord. I need you.

1 comment:

Wiebe Family said...

I hear ya! Materialism is a HUGE struggle for me. I am working at it. But it is a tough one. But you aren't alone in that challenge. Be encouraged!